Friday, May 14, 2010

TTL? How About NNTL

     There is a terminology in photography called TTL. It means "through the lens". It is in reference to a camera's flash to evaluate a scene communicating through the lens as opposed to on top of the camera. This enables it to see as the camera sees. Though it is not the same terminology, we photographers generally look "through the lens" to compose a picture. It is a very good practice to not be the only way to take pictures. Sometimes I lay the camera on the ground or raise it above by head to get the better viewpoint. I don't think I would be taking pictures TTL
     But what is NNTL? Well, how about "nowhere near the lens". Yes, I am taking about a remote camera. Remote photography is setting up a multiple cameras that are all triggered by the same device. In my case, I set up a camera behind the goal post at the Chico vs Foothill girls soccer game. I was triggering that remote camera with a second camera in my hands while I stood about 60ft away on the sidelines. I was able to fire both cameras at the same time. This allows me to take pictures when I am nowhere near the camera, NNTL. This is becoming a common practice among many sports photographers. What is great about this system is that it allows me to be in two places at once.

The first shot shows my viewpoint from the camera in hand. It obviously isn't a very good sports photo since both players have their back to me and there is no ball in sight. Chico High's Julie Haselton (center) scores on a play involving Olivia Carey (4) and Foothill goalie Stephanie Dennison in the first half of the league title match Thursday in Chico. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

This is the shot from my remote camera set up behind the net. Thought the lighting is backlit, the players are facing me and the ball is in sight. Chico High's Julie Haselton (center) scores on a play involving Olivia Carey (4) and Foothill goalie Stephanie Dennison in the first half of the league title match Thursday in Chico. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

      Being a sports photographer has a lot to do with being in the right spot. And as it happens, my remote camera happened to be in a better spot than me this last Thursday. I have two shots from the same goal that was scored, with my remote shot being a far better image than the one I shot in camera. I never know if I got the shot when I'm NNTL. It reminds me a little of developing film, where I have to wait to see if I got anything when I get back to the computer.  





No comments:

Post a Comment