Saturday, May 15, 2010

Not So Fast

     I was excited to finally be pulling into my driveway after a long day of work, but not so fast. 
     I heard on the police scanner of a high speed pursuit of a suspect along southbound Hwy 99 from East Ave. He was heading southbound along the highway at speeds of excess of 100 mph, and he was getting closer to passing my home which not to far away from where the chase was occurring. I decided to drive out to see if I could catch up to the scene. I didn't know if the pursuit would go into the town streets or out of town along the highway. I was hoping it would head out of town and I wouldn't have to cover it, but not so fast. 
     I was just approaching the overpass when I heard the suspect ended up colliding with another vehicle just south of E. 20th st. I saw police lights flashing as I got onto the onramp. I was thinking "oh no, a high speed collision is not going to be good." Not so fast, luckily, there were no major injuries. The people involved were really lucky, except for the suspect that is. He was arrested an treated for medical purposes.
     Because I was so close to the scene when it happened, I was able to get there right as everything was unfolding. Unfortunately it was too late for tomorrow's paper, so I didn't have to work too fast on deadline. I was able to get some real close shots. Something a little different being that most of the time we arrive much later to breaking news assignments. 

Chico Police officer Travis Johnson (right) looks over CHP officer Brian White (left) as he talks to the suspect involved in a high speed (105mph) pursuit that started from southbound Hwy99 and East Ave that ended with a two-vehicle collision at Hwy99 just south of E. 20th Ave Friday, May 14, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Butte County Fire and Paramedics officer treat the suspect involved in a high speed (105mph) pursuit that started from southbound Hwy99 and East Ave that ended with a two-vehicle collision at Hwy99 just south of E. 20th Ave Friday, May 14, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

CHP officer Brian White takes information from the victim's vehicle that was hit by a suspect involved in a high speed (105mph) pursuit that started from southbound Hwy99 and East Ave that ended with a two-vehicle collision at Hwy99 just south of E. 20th Ave Friday, May 14, 2010 in Chico, Calif.
(Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)




Oh, I also got to try my new safety vest, which has become a federal law for highway incidents. 


No comments:

Post a Comment