Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Be Prepared for Allergy Assignments

Last Friday, news was slow. I decided a good idea would be to find some image that illustrated pollen or allergies. Yeah, not such a good idea. Most people get allergies in Chico during the Spring, even if they've never had any. I found a group of maintenance workers blowing debris around the parking lot of an apartment complex. You could see all the dust flying in the air. I thought to myself, "Perfect, that totally says allergies." The worker was even wearing a dust mask. I thought I would be real quick and get in there and then get out before it got too bad. Not the case. The last couple of days, I have been battling heavy allergy issues, and I believe it has turned into a sinus infection. Oh, the joys of creativity. I took Claritin in the morning, but that didn't prove to be enough. I guess I should have grabbed a mask from my car. It has been nice to have my wife take care of me, but I definitely need to rethink this assignment before I do it again. 

Cuauhtemoc Rocha wears a mask as he uses a leaf blower to blow out debris in the parking lot of Meadows Apartment Complex on Friday, May 7, 2010 in Chico, Calif. The high pollen has hit many people with allergies. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A portrait taken by my wife later that night shows the effects of photographing a leaf blower for an allergies story. I have been feeling the effects for the last couple of days. Thankfully she still loves me when I look like this. 






No comments:

Post a Comment