Friday, January 30, 2009

What a Riot!

Oh Chico youth, when will you disappoint me. Just after I was feeling bad about the first "public disturbance" you bless my heart with another. I knew this week was a little quiet. All I needed to give it was a little time. I am referring to the disturbance that occurred late Thursday night into Friday morning. There were about 300 young individuals who gathered in the middle of Sixth St. near Chestnut starting a bonfire after disbanding from a nearby party. Chico Police came out and cleared the streets shortly after. Not as big as the first riot, but exciting none the less.

A young man kicks a trash bin that was placed in a bonfire near Sixth and Chestnut streets early this morning. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Students gather around a bonfire near Sixth and Chestnut streets early this morning. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A large crowd of at least 200 to 300 people gather around a bonfire near Sixth and Chestnut streets early this morning. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

I thought to myself this night that I was happy to be going to bed at a decent time to get much needed rest. Only to find that when I went to grab my phone to place it on the charger, I just missed a call from the office. Getting a call from the office this late a night is never a good sign. Thinking it would be some home on fire or shooting, I was a little shocked to hear a riot had broken out in the west side of Chico. I had just unpacked all of my equipment to organize my gear when I had to pack it all back up to race to the scene.

A few individuals throw a couch into a bonfire near Sixth and Chestnut streets early this morning. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Onlookers take video and pictures with cameras and cellphones as they watch a bonfire near Sixth and Chestnut streets early this morning. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

I arrived on scene to hear a large crowd gathering with a good bonfire roaring in the middle of the street. Chico Police had already blocked access to the streets for the public. I showed my press pass and walked into the scene. It was a very calm event considering most of the students weren't violent, just intoxicated. Most were there to have fun and just witness it. Not to cause a disturbance, though it was very much one.

The more risky participants took turns jumping over the large bonfire in the middle of the street near Sixth and Chestnut streets early this morning. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Spark fly into the air as students gather around a bonfire near Sixth and Chestnut streets early this morning. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

People climbed on cars and stairs. I myself climbed up the top of a balcony and was caught in the middle of a cat fight, to which I kindly pushed my way back down the stairs thinking I would be safer below. I took pictures of the flames and the kids jumping and throwing items into the fire. Once the couch was lit, the intensity of the flames pushed a lot of the crowd back.

Chico Police line up to begin dispersing the crowd that gathered around a bonfire near Sixth and Chestnut streets early this morning. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Glass bottles and even a brick were thrown at Chico police officers as they begin a sweep toward a crowd early this morning on Sixth Street.(Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Chico police officers approach the bonfire as they begin a sweep toward a crowd early this morning on Sixth Street.(Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

I walked over to the cops who were putting on their riot gear. The rush of adrenaline became the usual "hurry up and wait" as I grew tiresome of the same fire still burning. I talked with some of the officers, but made sure to make my presence known. That way if a confrontation occurred they would hopefully remember that I am with the press.

Chico police officers make a few arrests after dispersing a crowd early this morning on Sixth Street.(Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A young man suspected of throwing a bottle at police was arrested by Chico police early this morning at Sixth and Ivy streets following a disturbance that began late Thursday near Sixth and Chestnut streets. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)
I remembered to take a point and shoot camera and capture some video of the disturbance. I recall seeing the video from the first riot and it really made an impact visually of the atmosphere. Because I had a lot of time for coverage, I took short video clips of what was happening. I put the footage into a raw video to watch.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AwpEstkgww


UPDATE: Video and Photos from Chico Enterprise-Record


WATCH video from scene

PHOTO GALLERY of the disturbance

The cops cleared the streets. I was looking for that perfect shot of an arrest, but was unable to come across one. The lighting was dark and I was battling a dead battery. But if they keep the riots up at this rate I am sure we will hit our third riot just in time for St. Patty's Day! Here's to you Chico. You're such a riot!

No comments:

Post a Comment