Monday, January 26, 2009

What a Gigaview!

Recently I came across something very incredible. It was the combination of a photographer I have been following and his use of an equipment called Gigapan. It takes a normal compact point and shoot camera and combines a combination of photographs taken over a span of 15 minutes in 20 rows and 11 columns of individual images taken at full zoom. What this means is that it can give an image of 1,474 mega pixels. or 59,783 X 24,658 pixels. I have seen the technology in previous events, but for this photographer to use it at the Presidential Inauguration was truly an astonishing feat. It is the technology savvy "Where's Waldo" of photography.





See the image in fullscreen

Read how the photographer, David Bergman took the image

I have given much thought to a piece of technology like this. But never really seen its true potential till now. Before I had seen it be used in mostly still environments, but using it now during the Presidential Inauguration gives new meaning to its application. I myself am looking forward to investing in this awesome piece of equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment