Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Freeking" Pekings

With jugglers, gymnasts, tumblers and cyclists the Peking Acrobats amazed me once again at Chico Performances Laxson Auditorium. Each year these incredible individuals dazzle me with the mystery, artistry and majesticness of what a performance should be. With resounding music and visual theatrics the Peking Acrobats always leave me speechless. This is why this post will have more pictures than text.

A Peking Acrobat flips off a giant ball during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. Chico Performances brought more than 20 gymnasts, jugglers, cyclists, and tumblers that make up the Chinese Acrobats.(Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A Peking Acrobat juggles several hats during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A Peking Acrobat flips through a hoop and over 5 other acrobats on their heads during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A Peking Acrobat stands atop others with spinner during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A Peking Acrobat dressed as a chef spins 33 plates consecutively during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)
I am generally only allowed the first 10 minutes of the performance to takes images. With normal events, I usually comply and leave feeling satisfied. Yet every year I find myself enthralled with the performers of the Peking Acrobats. I continue to watch from the back, one show after another. Then I always find myself heading to the upper deck to get a different view point and to be less distracting to the patrons. While up in the balcony I will continue to take a few images here and there. I find that most of the crowd is not even distracted by the loud "clunk" of my camera because of their amazement of the acrobatics of the show.

A Peking Acrobat stand on her tippy toe atop another performers shoulder during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Two Peking Acrobats spin on roller blades in circles during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A Peking Acrobat smashes 4 bricks atop the head of another performer with a sledge hammer during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A Peking Acrobat rests atop 4 sharp spears held up by other performers during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Four Peking Acrobats are bent backwards on a pole during the Peking Acrobats show at Laxson Auditorium Tuesday, January 20, 2009 in Chico, CA. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

I stay perched high in the crowd, but the show is always a pleasure. Even from far away I can still get a sense of excitement and anticipation. I always say to myself, "Wow, OK that was good. I should leave now." Yet my feet do not head out the curtain. I continue to stay, feet planted watching the show. As one performance ends another picks up right where it left off. Now I say, "Well maybe after this one I'll leave." The problem with that statement is that I say it about 6 more times. Then at last when my batteries begin to become exhausted the main curtain comes down and I have now realized that I have stayed long enough for intermission to come. At that moment I can finally pry myself away from the awe that is the Peking Acrobats. The "Freeking" Peking Acrobats! If only they weren't so wonderful, I might be able to finish work on time.
Well, I'm not complaining. Never have.

No comments:

Post a Comment