Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Foggy Sunset

While working, I am always on the lookout for something neat or interesting. Sometimes, I am lucky enough to be blessed with something absolutely gorgeous. There was a heavy fog that had rested on the valley floor for a couple of days. Fog as a weather pattern is not that unusual. It doesn't come all the time, but it definitely adds an interesting environment for shooting. After gathering the typical people walking through the fog, I decided to see if I could get above the clouds.





I headed up Hwy 32 toward Forest Ranch, but didn't have to far to rise above the fog. I was able to pull over to this area that overlooked the valley. I was right above the fog that covered end to end. It was quite a sight that I don't think my photos can even describe properly.

I set up three cameras, two that were on time-lapse taking shots about every 5 seconds. I held the third camera in hand shooting both video and stills. The sun began to set as I began to work. It was truly a view that I was powerful. I need to figure out how to build a house at that spot. As the sun set and the moon began to shine brighter, I noticed the stars that began to show. The absolutely clear sky was something that I had not seen for a couple days. Stars filled the sky and the city lights created a glow from below the fog. There was no way to capture it all. I just breathed deeply to enjoy what I could. I did manage to snap a self portrait of me out in the scene.









Fog lies on the valley floor over Chico as seen from Hwy 32 Friday, January 7, 2011 in Chico, Calif.
(Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

I later came down the hill and compiled the time-lapse shots into a video. I was surprised how much the "apparent" motionless fog actually moved. It was something you didn't notice as you stood their watching, but over the span of 30 minutes you could see the fog rolling like a river.




See video...


Tell me what you think? What is your favorite?


Email me at propixelographer@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment