Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fire Damages Home

A fire completely destroyed a home in north Chico today. I unfortunately was at the Polar Bear Swim when the incident was called out. I didn't know it was going to be a big fire. I couldn't leave the Polar Bear Swim right away, being that it was about to start soon. I tried to listen to my scanner hoping it was nothing, but didn't hear any chatter. I figured nothing ever came of the first response. It wasn't until the fire had already been put out and engines were being released that I realized something serious had happened. I headed over to the scene hoping there was still firefighters at the scene. To my luck they were still there and I was able to get a nice picture of a firefighter hosing down the hotspots in the walls. The slower shutter speed gave the image a nice look, even though I was quite late to the incident. It just goes to show that I can't be in two places at once.

Cal Fire - Butte County volunteer firefighter Eric Pittman from station 42 hoses down hotspots at the scene of a fire that burned down a home on Meridian Rd Saturday, January 1, 2011 in Chico, Calif. The 3 residents were not home at the time of the fire that began around 12:40pm and fully engulfed the home by the time the first engine arrived. The landlord, had not been accounted for at the time, but is not believed to have been home either. The home had no electrical or heat source and the cause is under investigation. The fire was reported by neighbors and burned an approximate 1200 sq. ft home as total loss.
(Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)


No comments:

Post a Comment