Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It's Gonna Be A Long Fire Season

   With the number of wildfires that have already been cooking up in the county, firefighters will have their crews busy. And I will be kept plenty busy as well. A small vegetation fire broke out along The Skyway near Skyway Crossroads Rd. Wednesday evening. A car had pulled off the road as her car overheated. The car burst into flames igniting the nearby grass. The fire quickly spread as firefighters made their way to the scene.

Cal Fire - Butte County firefighter Anthony Brown, of station 65 out of Bangor, hoses down hot spots as Paradise Fire respond to a wildfire that broke out after a driver's car overheated on the Skyway near Skyway Crossroads Rd. burning about 2 acres and coming close to homes Wednesday, June 16, 2010 in Paradise, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A firefighter walks through the thick smoke as they respond to a wildfire that broke out after a driver's car overheated on the Skyway near Skyway Crossroads Rd. burning about 2 acres and coming close to homes Wednesday, June 16, 2010 in Paradise, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

    It took me a while to get to the scene because of all the traffic that had backed up on the Skyway. The cars were moving, but moving slowly. I didn't get a fast jump on heading out to cover the incident, and thus got caught behind. I eventually made it up, and thankfully was able to pull over near the scene without having to walk very far. 

The driver of the vehicle (left), whom wouldn't give her name talks on her cell phone as firefighters respond to a wildfire started from her car that overheated on the Skyway near Skyway Crossroads Rd. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A small piece of bark continues to burn in a small wildfire about 2 acres and coming close to homes Wednesday, June 16, 2010 in Paradise, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

    I immediately ran to a firefighter who was putting out hot spots as firefighters were able to quickly maintain the blaze. I jump on scene so quickly, that I forgot to grab my nomex gear. I snapped a couple shots and went back to my car to put on my gear. Crews were OK with me walking around the perimeter, but I needed my fire gear to get closer. Also the smoke was very thick and it helped to grab a mask to not breathe in the toxic fumes. 

After covering the scene I snapped a self-portrait in my fire gear and a mask that really came in handy with the thick smoke Wednesday, June 16, 2010 in Paradise, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Cal Fire - Butte County firefighter Chad Porter puts out hot spots in a wildfire that broke out Wednesday, June 16, 2010 in Paradise, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Cal Fire Vina Helitack 205 helicopter drops water as Butte County and Paradise Volunteer Firefighter Erick Sill (bottom) respond to a wildfire that broke out after a driver's car overheated on the Skyway near Skyway Crossroads Rd. burning about 2 acres and coming close to homes Wednesday, June 16, 2010 in Paradise, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

    I was able to find a variety of shots on this small fire that was contained to just about 2 acres. There was more of a scare than a real threat. Fire crews from Cal Fire-Butte County and Paradise Fire were able to knock down the threat pretty quickly. While walking around the terrain, I managed to find a pretty thick mud puddle where I almost lost my shoe. I'm sure the fire wouldn't have been able to get through the mud as it was very thick.

A took a shot of my foot in a mud puddle next to my footprint about 2-3 inches deep as I covered a small wildfire Wednesday, June 16, 2010 in Paradise, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)


    The fire brought back some memories of the Humboldt Fire that came through the Paradise area in 2008. Though it was no where near size or intensity, the location alone was enough to bring back those memories. It will be interesting how the year pans out for firefighters. I tend to get excited when a fire roars through, I just hope it is a safe fire... if there is such a thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment