Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hitching a Ride in the Sky

    I never pass up a chance to fly in a plane. I love to fly. I wish sometimes that is all I could do. Maybe it's the photographer inside me but I just love to get that bird's eye view. So when an assignment to cover the Young Eagles Rally allowed me to join some kids and a pilot in a plane, I said suit me up. 
    This flight is about 20 minutes or so and much more calmer than stunt planes for the Air Fest. It is a small plane that is cozy, which I enjoy. You can really feel the lift in the plane. On big commercial planes, you loose that sense of flight once you've lifted off the runway. In smaller planes you can really feel the wind currents. While in the air, I always try to snap shots of landmarks that we might use for other stories. I was able to snap these two shots of the Sacramento River and Mt. Shasta.

Gene Kemper (left) flies Weston Soudan, 11, (right) in his airplane for the Young Eagles free flights for kids event at the Chico Airport on Saturday, June 12, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Michael Wiles, 11, looks at a map as he got a ride in Gene Kemper's airplane for the Young Eagles free flights for kids event at the Chico Airport on Saturday, June 12, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

An aerial view of the Mt Shasta as Michael Wiles, 11, and Weston Soudan, 11, get a ride in Gene Kemper's airplane for the Young Eagles free flights for kids event at the Chico Airport on Saturday, June 12, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

An aerial view of Sacramento River along River Rd. near Scotty's Landing (seen bottom left) as Michael Wiles, 11, and Weston Soudan, 11, get a ride in Gene Kemper's airplane for the Young Eagles free flights for kids event at the Chico Airport on Saturday, June 12, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)





No comments:

Post a Comment