Wednesday, March 31, 2010

César Chávez Festivities

Chico's south campus neighborhood which generally comprises of CSUC students and out-of-towners, raised up their sombreros and drew on their mustaches to celebrate César Chávez Day. While the actual holiday bears no resemblance to the drunken mess of youth wandering the streets of downtown Chico, the day still had its moments of excitement. Chico State gave the students the Wednesday off, combined with a furlough for Thursday after and most students not having classes for Friday (or teachers letting them off), with the added Monday being a holiday for Easter, all created an extra Spring Break for some. The activity was higher than St. Patrick's Day. A lot more house parties than crowds at the bars. Activity picked up early in the evening but quickly dispersed as nightfall came. 

Morgan Allen, 19, stands at W. 5th St and Ivy st. waiting for her friends as she celebrates Cesar Chavez Day on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Chico Police check the area of a reported gunshot along Ivy St. near W. 5th St. as people celebrate Cesar Chavez Day on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Alexis Fernandez, 20, wore a big sombrero as she walks near W. 5th St and Ivy st. during Cesar Chavez Day on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A party had many people dancing with a dj in the backyard at a residence along W. 5th St near Cherry St. on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Chico Police mounted patrol Jim Parrott (right) moves partiers along at party in the backyard at a residence along W. 5th St near Cherry St. on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record) 

I did have one encounter that just comes with the crowds. A young man was so intoxicated he had to be transported to Enloe. I was going to take some images of him being transported with the party he was attending behind him to tell the story of young people endangering themselves with alcohol from parties. While waiting for the paramedics to load him into van, his friends decided to hop the railing at the party and tell me not to take pictures of the scene. When I say hop the railing, I mean stumble and fall over the railing. They were concerned that I would take his pictures.
 Well, they should be. I would take his picture. I am in all legal right to do so. He was drunk on a public sidewalk and I was standing in the public road. There were 3 women who approached me raising their hands to my camera. They were in my face, but not hostile. I wasn't afraid of them getting physical with the incident, but it was really nice that a VIPS officer Terry Smith quickly approached and told them to back off. I don't know what it couldn't have ended up as, but I am glad nothing came of it. I did manage to take a picture of what I was wanting... and I got a bonus of his friend trying to block the camera.

Ah Chico, just another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment