Saturday, July 17, 2010

Quick! Before The Flames Go Out


    Sometimes I feel weird thinking that I wish wildfires lasted longer. But I would be lying if I said I wished they would put the fires out fast. While most nearby residences to fire scenes wish for a fast reaction to the fire, I wish firefighters weren't so fast. City of Chico Fire has a response time of just over 4 minutes. This means I have about 4 minutes to arrive on scene before they put the fire out. Cal Fire - Butte County response time can be a little longer, but they are just as quick if you compare response area. 
    Firefighters get on scene quick, and I have to be quick as well to get there while the action is hot. I unfortunately still have to abide by the speed limit and light signals. I do wish I could have a siren and light bar on my car, but that might get me into more trouble than good. Looks like I just have to be quick on my toes. 
    That being said, I really do not wish for fires to last long enough to cause serious damage to life or property, just long enough to see some flames. And on another note, I do appreciate the speed of firefighters. I hope those firefighters reading this won't take their time getting to my house if it were to catch on fire. I guess I just need to step up my game.
  
Cal Fire Butte County Firefighters Chris Taylor (left) and David Fredrickson (right), both from Vina Helitack 205 watch Vina Helitack 205 helicopter dump a bucket of water as they battle alongside Paradise Fire to attack a small vegitation fire just after 12:30pm along the north side of Skyway just south of Lookout Point that burned a little more than an acre on Friday, July 16, 2010 in Chico, Calif. Traffic was closed to one lane while crews battled the blaze. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Paradise Firefighter Chris Clow (left) and Capt John Singler (right) attack a small vegitation fire with Cal Fire-Butte County just after 12:30pm along the north side of Skyway just south of Lookout Point that burned a little more than an acre on Friday, July 16, 2010 in Chico, Calif.
(Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Cal Fire Butte County Vina Helitack 205 helicopter drops water buckets to help Paradise Fire attack a small vegitation fire Friday. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

Cal Fire Butte County Fire Capt. Dennis Cobb, from Vina Helitack 205 rakes up a hotspot at a small vegitation fire Friday, July 16, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)

A small fire burns after a vegitation fire ignited along the north side of Skyway just south of Lookout Point Friday, July 16, 2010 in Chico, Calif. (Jason Halley/Chico Enterprise-Record)






No comments:

Post a Comment